Monday, August 2, 2010

School of Worship

I had an amazing opportunity to attend the Bethel School of Worship for 4 weeks over June/July. I was unsure of how I was going to pay the fees to get there, but about 2 days before they were due, someone gave me the $750 I needed and a letter of encouragement! Again, I was completely blown away and amazing at how God provided. Why should I ever doubt?

From the outset they dealt with issues of the heart. One key was to get rid of the root of jealousy by encouraging the person, and prophecy over them. Kris Vallotton talked about what makes a disciple, saying it is the ability to receive correction. In order to receive more information, we need a structure to hold it. The structure is the ability to receive correction and and follow instructions. He also talked about moving to the stage of 'friend of God'. It's about relationship.
Bethel has a huge culture of honour and again this was brought into focus. They talked a lot about honouring your pastor or leaders. I really see how this works in worship teams. Honour builds relationship, which makes working with pastors and leaders much easier.
There were a few session of the science and power of sound. They showed experiments with sound that cause sand particles to form symmetrical patterns and how they change and become more intricate the higher the frequency. Everything is held together with sound vibrations. It's quite amazing to think about the power of your words, or your song, your music. It literally can cause things to change, or things to come into being. Speak, sing, make a noise about the things you want to see happen - and watch them happen!
Dan McCallum shared on the Prophetic Song. It was one of the more practical sessions. We were given keys for our walk with God. Singing in the spirit, singing with your mind, and singing with your heart. When you sing in the spirit you are singing mysteries, and the secrets of the kingdom. When you sing spontaneously with words, that revelation starts to come out. You realize what the Holy Spirit has been teaching you. When you sing no words, just sounds, you are singing with your heart. This is just a taste of what we learnt! I also learnt a lot from Christa Black in regards to songwriting, and being a worship leader and artist.
During the school, many of us had an opportunity to lead a song in an elective called Band Sessions. I was the last person on my day, and I got some great feedback from Kathy Vallotton and Will Matthews (worship leader at Bethel). This led to Kathy asking me to do a Creative Expression. I was pretty excited at first, then the 24 hours before I was riddled with nerves! I chose to do one of the songs I written and had my amazing friend, Bek, play violin with me (she is very well known in Australia for her violin skills!). It was such a privilege. It was a great opportunity for me to practice singing and playing in front of people.
I felt challenged in many ways during the school, and felt God speak things to me and lead me in the next step for various things in my life. I will definitely treasure my time at worship school.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Harveys! It's Sarah Buckland here, I've reading your blog for ages, and I thought it was about time I commented! :)
    Your experiences at the School of Worship sound absoultely incredible! I love reading your updates and being inspired by all that God is doing through you guys!! :D
    Hope you're all well! Always praying,
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete